There has never been a more important time to be fit and healthy, and thankfully our government is allowing us to take exercise once a day to ensure the well-being of the nation during this challenging time. Regular physical activity can help protect you from serious diseases such as obesity, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, diabetes and arthritis. And riding a bicycle regularly is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of health problems associated with a sedentary lifestyle.
Cycling has many benefits as it’s a healthy, low-impact exercise that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, from young children to older adults. It is also fun, cheap and good for the environment.
Since we are also able to make trips to the shops to buy essential provisions, cycling is also a time-efficient way to combine regular exercise with your everyday routine. It’s also a great way to save money!
Cycling for Health and Fitness
It only takes two to four hours a week to achieve a general improvement to your health. So why is it such a great way to exercise?
- Low impact: it causes less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise.
- A good muscle workout: cycling uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal.
- Easy: unlike some other sports, cycling does not require high levels of physical skill. Most people know how to ride a bike and, once you learn, you don’t forget.
- Good for strength and stamina: cycling increases stamina, strength and aerobic fitness.
- As intense as you want: cycling can be done at very low intensity to begin with, if recovering from injury or illness, but can be built up to a demanding physical workout.
- A fun way to get fit: the adventure and buzz you get from coasting down hills and being outdoors means you are more likely to continue to cycle regularly, compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places.
- Time-efficient: as a mode of transport, cycling replaces sedentary (sitting) time spent driving motor vehicles or using trams, trains or buses with healthy exercise.
- Great family time: whether you are a couple or a family with children, cycling it something that you can do together
Health and wellbeing benefits of regular cycling
Cycling is mainly an aerobic activity, which means that your heart, blood vessels and lungs all get a workout. You will breathe deeper, perspire and experience increased body temperature, which will improve your overall fitness level.
The health benefits of regular cycling include:
- increased cardiovascular fitness
- increased muscle strength and flexibility
- improved joint mobility
- decreased stress levels
- improved posture and coordination
- strengthened bones
- decreased body fat levels
- prevention or management of disease
- reduced anxiety and depression.
- regular exposure to fresh air
These are just some of the reasons why at EDAM Group we provide a cycle to work scheme as one of the many benefits which support our people. One of our key focuses as a business is ensuring that we have a happy, healthy team as we fully appreciate this reflects in their ability to deliver the exemplary levels of service we are renowned for. Find out more about our full range of benefits here.